Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summer in Palau




Happy Fourth of July!
We have had a very nice summer here in Palau.  The weather is exactly how it has been every other day this year, but somehow summer just always has a nice ring to it.  We had a big ex-pat party on the 4th, where I wore my sparkly headband and proud Barack Obama '08 pin.  I had a lot more to be proud about this year as an American and actually felt excited for our wonderful nation.  I also felt wonderful about the open bar, and the beach frisbee that happened!

These are some pics of our third trip up to Kayangel. We did Special K olympics for the second time, where Rick and Christy dominated spouse-style.  I did not do so well this time, as I had some trouble keeping my butt off the ground during the marathon crab walk.  There's always next time I suppose!  When we arrived on friday, the owner of the island showed up proudly displaying his catch of the day: 3 lobster, a very big grouper, a clam muscle for sashimi, and an octopus!  Not wanting to scoff at this hospitable gesture, I womaned up and tried the freshly boiled octopus.  To my astonished delight, it was AMAZING! I tasted like really chewy lobster, but rich enough to eat without salt, butter or lemon.  I am officially a new woman: eating things with tentacles and raw fish right out of the water.  

Oh! also, this is a picture of a blowfish that Curtis accidentally speared.  All of their spikes are poisonous, but if you really, really know what you're doing, you can eat them.  Our fearless ranger Lazarus promptly took the blowfish into the boat and told us that they are find to hold, so long as you stick your fingers through their eyes.  He proceeded to do so, and I nearly lost my lunch.  

Other things that have happened in june and july here in Palau: 1) new crop of navy boys arrived.  much better than the air force so far.  a little on the young side, but a chivalrous group, which is hard to dislike; 2) I've decided to go to thailand next month for two weeks; 3) we're getting some quighers, and I hope I spelled that right; 4) R.I.P Michael Jackson. we did a very long tribute night at the karaoke bar, where I discovered that it does not sound good when I do "I want you back" in falsetto; 5) It rained a lot and I discovered that "The L Word" is a really good show.  
A little over two months left here in Palau, and I'm still enjoying every second of this place! 

No comments: